Who Do I Need to See?

Managing arthritis is a team effort. There are many different health care providers in British Columbia who can help.

The professionals on your team may change over time and will depend on the problems you have and the services available where you live.

How can the Mary Pack Arthritis team help?

We have a wide variety of health care providers and services to help you manage and treat the physical and psychological impacts of arthritis. Learn about our team of health care professionals below:

Physical Therapists (PT)

  • Assess your day-to-day physical  function, strength, mobility, balance and level of fitness
  • Diagnose and treat physical symptoms related to arthritis
  • Teach you ways to reduce your pain
  • Provide specific exercises, guidance and treatments (manual therapy, heat, cold, TENSA therapeutic modality that uses electrical stimulation to modulate pain, strengthen muscles, and enhance soft-tissue healing., ultrasound) for your condition
  • Work with you to restore, maximize and maintain movement, flexibility and physical independence

Occupational Therapists (OT)

  • Assess your ability to carry out every day tasks
  • Work with you to find solutions to improve your quality of life and independence
  • Suggest equipment or splints/orthotics to help with daily activities
  • Suggest changes to home or work sites to make tasks easier
  • Watch this short video to learn more about how an OT can help


  • Provide supportive counselling and education on your condition, medications, treatment options, community resources, and address health concerns
  • Teach you skills such as self-injection, lab value analysis, dealing with side effects of medications, talking with your doctor and wellness strategies to live a healthy lifestyle
  • Give injection medications or biologics by IV when ordered by your doctor

Social Workers

  • Connect you and family members to community resources
  • Help you deal with the practical concerns in life, including housing, financial and family worries
  • Help you to adjust to emotional and social changes, including depression, stress, social isolation and loss of purpose in life

How can a Rheumatologist help?

A rheumatologist is a doctor who can:

  • Diagnose the type of arthritis you have
  • Work with you and your family doctor on how best to medically manage your arthritis

Rheumatologists play a specialized role at the Mary Pack Arthritis Program. Most inflammatory arthritisInflammatory arthritis is a term used to describe a group of conditions which affect your immune system. This means that your body’s defense system starts attacking your own tissues instead of germs, viruses and other foreign substances, which can cause pain, stiffness and joint damage. They’re also known as autoimmune diseases. The three most common forms of inflammatory arthritis are rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis.  patients who receive services at the Mary Pack Arthritis Program will already be under the care of their own rheumatologist. Should you require rheumatology services, your doctor can refer you to a private practice rheumatologist.

Unsure who you need to see?

Read My Health Care Team to help determine which team member(s) best meets your needs.

What is your role on the health care team?

You are the most important member of your team. It’s your role to:

  • Learn about your arthritis and the many ways it can be managed
  • Work with your team to find ways of managing your arthritis that fit you
  • Learn about the services that can help
  • You know your body best and what does – or does not -feel right for you. Share this information with your health care team